The Orphans' Court handles all matters involving estates and wills as the probate court in Maryland, and also some guardianship matters of minors.
The Orphans' Court and the Register of Wills Offices are located on the fourth floor within the DuVall Wing of the Upper Marlboro Courthouse.
The three judges of the Orphans' Court for Prince George’s County must be attorneys, licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. Judges of the Orphans' Court are elected every 4 years by the citizens of this county, with the judge of longest tenure serving as Chief Judge.
The Orphans’ Court derives its name from pre-colonial England, carried over by Lord Baltimore from the City of London’s Court for Widows and Orphans. In 1777, the Maryland General Assembly formally established an Orphans’ Court and Register of Wills in each county and the City of Baltimore. That structure still operates today.
The Register of Wills serves as the clerk for the Orphans’ Court and is also elected every 4 years by the citizens of the county in which the Register serves.
The Orphans' Court cannot accept electronic filings for estates and guardianships. Filings can be mailed via the U.S. Mail, filed with the Register of Wills office or by using the Orphans' Court drop box.
The Orphans' Court drop box is located at the Commissioner's Entrance of the Upper Marlboro Courthouse. The drop box has 24-hour access.