- Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Law & Equity Division
Law & Equity Division
The Civil Law and Equity Division accepts and processes various documents concerning Civil Law and Equity cases as well as Liens and Judgments. Any questions regarding legal aspects and the filing of pleadings or motions should be directed to the attorney of record or review the Maryland Rules of Procedures which are provided as a service by Lexis and Westlaw. Please go to the Maryland Courts online resource. For questions regarding procedural matters or filing fees associated with a particular civil domestic action can be directed to the Clerk's Office, Civil Law and Equity Division.
Case May Include
Civil Law and Equity cases filed in Circuit Court, may include:
- With certain exceptions, matters which involve a claim for damages in excess of $30,000. Concurrent jurisdiction is shared with the District Court in matters which involve a claim for an amount between $5,000 and $30,000
- All matters in which a jury trial is permitted and requested
- Matters which involve civil law and equity, Sale in Lieu of Partition, foreclosures, mechanics liens, and injunctions
- Judicial Review of Administrative Agency decisions
- Appeals (civil matters) from the District Court, to include Peace Orders
- Appeals to Courts of Appeal (Case will be forwarded to appropriate court when appeal is noted)
Other Civil Matters
Other civil matters filed in Circuit Court include:
- Liens and Judgments including encumbrances, Federal tax liens, hospital liens, Maryland tax liens, District court liens, civil judgments, and United States District Court judgments are all filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court, Civil Law and Equity Division.
An after-hours drop box is available in the atrium on the ground floor of the Duvall side of the Courthouse on Judges Drive. Filings placed in the drop box will be collected the next business day and processed.
Please note that all attorneys are required to file pleadings electronically pursuant to MD-Rule 20-106.
Maryland Judiciary Case Search
Generally, Civil Law and Equity records are public information. Access to online case information is available through the Maryland Judiciary Case Search. Maryland law prohibits the Clerk's Office staff from rendering any type of legal service or giving legal advice. Staff members are prohibited by law from performing record searches and restricted from any records research other than in the performance of their customary assignments. Questions involving filing fees or general procedural information can be directed to the Clerk's Office. The General Fee schedule for Civil Law and Equity cases is provided on this website.
Existing Case Contact Information Form
If you have an existing case and need to update the contact information for any party to the Case (Plaintiff, Defendant, Petitioner, Respondent, Other party) or an attorney for a Case needs to update their contact information, the links to the forms are provided below. The forms are fillable and all fields in the form must be filled in.
To update a party to the Case contact information, please use this form:
Party Contact Information Form.
To update an attorney for a Case contact information, please use this form:
Attorney Contact Information Form.